Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Immigration is much more than an economic issue

From a think tank where one my favorite professors is the president:

http://www.cceia.org/resources/journal/22_1/essays/001.html

"My goal here is twofold: First, I wish to make a plea for the relevance of moral considerations in debates about immigration. Too often, immigration debates are conducted solely from the standpoint of "what is good for us," without regard for the justifiability of immigration policies to those excluded. Second, I wish to offer a standpoint that demonstrates why one should think of immigration as a moral problem that must be considered in the context of global justice. More specifically, I will argue that the earth belongs to humanity in common and that this matters for assessing immigration policy. "

While I cannot hide that I am partially pro-immigration because I would not exist without it-My mother and three of my grandparents are immigrants- every economics professor I have had with one exception is also an immigrant.
From the standpoint of competitiveness one should note that a majority of this countries most successful technology companies such as Google were stated by immigrants. Ignoring all of that, immigration is in my opinion the single greatest contributor to world prosperity, development, and human rights in the history of mankind. The majority of arguments against immigration are misguided at best, and represent selfish xenophobia at their worst.

Read the whole article.

No comments:

Post a Comment